Friday, March 18, 2005

Day 5: Narcolepsy

It had to happen sooner or later. Today I thought I might have hit the wall. Here is what happened...

I had to go into work a little early today (well, 10 am, which is early to me, at least), and then because of interviews and meetings, I didn't get to eat anything until about 1:30. Kiki also joined me for lunch today, which was very cool, since she rarely gets to enjoy the fantastic cuisine I get for 9 meals a week. Anyhow, I was starving by the time lunch came around, and they were serving salmon, which is one of my favorites, so I took the opportunity to stuff myself. All told I had 3 pieces of salmon, 2 chicken breasts and a giant hot dog, all shown below. I should say that I really only had 1 3/4 chicken breasts, because I was so full I actually couldn't finish the second one. This also marked a particularly noteworthy moment in which Kiki actually finished my meal for me, for the first time ever. Don't worry, I still have an insurmountable lead in the "who finishes who's meal" category in this marriage.

About 30 minutes after lunch, I started feeling my body shutting down into a massive food coma. Normally, this is when I'd grab a Rockstar and get a nice energy boost, but of course that wasn't in the cards for me on this day. I could hardly keep my eyes open, so I got up and walked around to find a couch somewhere I could lay down and take a short nap, but everywhere I went there were people. So I went back to my desk and tried to carry on. At one point shortly thereafter, I got up to talk to a coworker, and while talking to him, I suddenly felt like I was going to fall asleep standing up. I went and grabbed a bottle of water, used the restroom, rested in the restroom, and tried to continue working once more. Time was moving very slowly, but it kept moving forward, as time usually does, and before I knew it everything was fine again. It was about 6 pm when I realized I had toughed it out, and I was back in the groove.

I didn't get hungry for dinner until around 8 pm, but I had some more work I wanted to finish, so I casually devoured most of an entire bag of beef jerky. By the end of the bag, I was thinking it'd be ok if I didn't have beef jerky for a few months. Or at least not that kind. I got home at 9:30, and I was hungry again, but I lack both the ingredients and desire to create a real meal, so I ate half a bag of pepperoni, a whole carton of lunch meat turkey*, some chicken, and an incredibly nasty tasting beef stick. Boy, doesn't that sound appetizing?

So that brings me up until now... The next few meals are surely going to be the hardest for a couple reasons. One, I'll be away from home this weekend (doing an overnight puzzle hunt), so I'll have to bring and prepare the meals myself. Two, I'm five plus days into the week of meat! I'm going to make it, though. I have come this far, two more days is just a formality, really. Plus, I actually realize now that the tiredness spell I had today was more likely because I only had 4.5 hours of sleep last night, not because of the meat diet. Ha!

*Side note: At lunch today, one of my coworkers thought it was impossible to go an entire week eating nothing but lunch meat turkey, because of the fact it is almost all protein and very little fat. In fact, he felt so strongly about this that he thought he could go longer eating nothing at all than I could go eating only turkey. Maybe there will be a sequel to Week of Meat...


Blogger Chris Cheng said...

Excellent work, Rich. You're right, at this point, I'm sure you'll complete the week-of-meat and the next couple days are just a formality. And being tired at work is not at all abnormal. I want to fall asleep at work all the time.

And whoever bet you that he could go longer without food than you could go only on sliced turkey is a fool. He obviously has no idea who he's dealing with. I'm pretty confident you could go longer on pork testicles (an approved meat item) than he could go without food. Especially with all the nice recipes for pork testicles I have in my cupboard.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home